You might think that cleaning your room can be so annoying and boring and takes up loads of your time but really with a couple of easy tricks like listening to music while you clean can make you work better and shorter.
1. Get into the habit of making your bed before you leave for the day. A messy bed can make an otherwise clean room look messy. This small step can inspire you to keep your room neat throughout the day.
2. Get an mp3 player, iPod, or a stereo and play music while you clean (as long as it won't bother others). It can help distract you from the task at hand.
3. Keep food out of your room. As tempting as it is to bring snacks in your room, all of those dirty dishes and wrappers can mess up a room fast. If you absolutely must eat food in your room, bring dishes back to the kitchen and throw all trash in the garbage when you are done.
4. Put things back where they belong. This may seem like a simple rule but if you follow it, you will never have to worry about your room being a disaster ever again. If you don't have time, at least make a deal with yourself that you will make sure everything is picked up before you go to bed.
5. Maintain. Once a week, do a simple maintenance cleaning. Dust off your desk, bookshelves, and other dusty surfaces. Vacuum and sweep your floor. Wash your sheets.
6. Break the habits that lead to filth.
This one is obvious: Putting clothes on the floor instead of in the dirty cloths hamper.
Tossing a book on the floor after reading it instead of on the shelf.
Kicking off shoes onto the floor instead of putting them away.
Crumpling up a piece of paper and throwing it on the floor instead of recycling it.
Drinking something in the room and leaving the cup on the desk.
Throwing unwanted pillows off the bed instead of putting them in the closet.
7. Remember, lighting can make a room look even cleaner. Buy a few lamps, but don't overdo it. 1 floor lamp and 2 desk lamps are plenty, and make sure your bulb gives off a soft, white, florescent light.
8. Before you go to bed, take aside a few minutes to pick up any dirty clothing or wrappers and make sure your room at least looks decent before you settle into bed.
Source : Keep Your Room Clean